Leading remote employees is now a fact of life. Over 80% of teams and 90% of projects have at least one member not physically located with the rest of the group. In addition, a recent study from GlobalWorkplaceAnalytics.com showed that the number of employees who telecommute more than one day per week increased over 79% from 2005 to 2014.
While the principles of effective leadership and team management haven’t changed, maintaining peak performance and keeping employees engaged when separated by miles, time zones and culture is a tall task for any manager or organization.
Let’s be honest—leadership of others is already hard enough when they are down the hall or on the shop floor. When you add in the challenges of them being remote, it gets harder—and more stressful.
- How do we communicate successfully?
- How can we make meetings (that are already painful in person), work using technology?
- How do we build the relationships and trust with the team—and help them do that between each other?
- How do we present ideas, change and more at a distance?
- How do we coach and give feedback successfully?
- How do we deal with the unknowns? After all, we can’t see what they are doing, how they are doing it and if they are ever working?
If have ever struggled with even one of these questions, you know what we mean. Leadership is hard…doing it remotely is even harder. We have partnered with the Remote Leadership team to create bite sized e-learning courses that build the skills needed to successfully lead and manage a virtual team. With 18 courses, covering six topic areas, remote leaders now have the tools they need to be successful leaders, no matter where their employees work in the world.
If you are interested in viewing these modules, please get in touch. We use these modules in our leadership coaching and mentoring programs. They can be licensed to your organisation and uploaded to your learning management system or delivered from ours.